Troy is a great area to live and has everything you need with the following at your fingertips:
- Things To Do
- Parks And Recreation
- Schools And Education
- Local Healthcare
- Government Offices And Services
If you have any other questions about the Troy community, ask our knowledgeable property managers who know all about the area and everything it has to offer!
Things To Do
Whether you currently live in the area or are new to Troy, you will want to know all of the fun things to do. We’ve put together a list of our favorite things to get you started! Looking for more ideas? Just ask us!
- Visit the Troy Waterfront Farmer’s Market– The mission of the TWFM is to create and operate a producer-only, year-round, independent, vibrant marketplace featuring locally grown food and locally made products, for the mutual benefit of local producers, consumers, and the community. The market is open every Saturday in Downtown Troy from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM!
- Catch a ValleyCats game at Joe Bruno Stadium – Sometimes referred to as “The Joe,” the Joseph L. Bruno Stadium is located on the campus of Hudson Valley Community College and home to the Tri-City ValleyCats! A trip to the ValleyCats is a summer staple in the Capital Region. Each night at the ballpark provides a memorable experience for their guests and we are so glad they are close to home!
- Visit the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology (CMOST) – Check out the only science center designed specifically for children in the region! CMOST provides an engaging, child-directed learning environment which enables children to learn and grow through play. Designed for children 18 months through tween, the Museum enables children to investigate, observe, analyze, and build!
- Catch a program at The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC) – Comprising of four venues, EMPAC enables audiences, artists, and researchers to inquire, experiment, develop, and experience the ever-changing relationship between our senses, technology, and the worlds we create around us. Located at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute the performing arts center and research and production facility, EMPAC provides an environment that supports the realization of complex artworks and research projects at any stage, from inception to completion.
- Tour the Burden Iron Works Museum – Located in the former Burden Iron Co. office building in South Troy, The Burden Iron Works Museum has extensive displays of artifacts connected with the region’s industrial past. The building, constructed 1881-1882, once served as the headquarters of a major iron mill complex that stretched a mile along the Hudson River and employed nearly 2,000 men at its peak.
- See a show at the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall – A National Historic Landmark, The Troy Savings Bank Music Hall has been in use since opening in 1875. World renowned for its near perfect acoustics, it has hosted performances by legions of world-renowned artists, from legends to newcomers in all genres.
- Catch a game at RPI – Over 70% of undergraduate students participate in RPI athletics. Spectators are welcome to attend games at RPI and there are several facilities where the teams compete throughout the school year! This included the East Campus Athletic Village, with a field turf and seating for 5,200 people! Check out hockey, basketball, and much more!
- Rockin’ on the River – This is a free summer concert series, where you can see amazing bands perform in Troy’s Riverfront Park every Wednesday night! Rockin’ on the River usually runs from early June through early August and you can see renowned artists as well as local talent from every genre of music.
- Cruise the Hudson River on the Captain JP Cruises – The Captain J.P. Cruise Line offers a wide variety of weekly scenic cruises that offer a variety of durations and lunch/brunch and dinner options. Get out on the water and enjoy the historic background of Troy, NY.
- Take a sip at Browns Brewing Company – This family owned business offers a variety of craft beers and delicious food pairs. You can enjoy dining on the patio or host a private event for friends and family. With so many beers on tap and made right on site there will certainly be an option for everyone!
Parks And Recreation
The City of Troy, New York and the surrounding area offers residents many different options to enjoy the outdoors. We have put together this Parks and Recreations resource list to help you find some great ways to have fun outside. If you have any questions about what the area has to offer, feel free to ask us.
- Prospect Park
65 Prospect Park Rd, Troy, NY 12180
The 80-acre park was originally designed in 1903 by local landscape engineer Garnet Douglass Baltimore, the first African-American graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI). The park today includes tennis courts, handball courts, basketball courts, playground, picnic areas, soccer field, comfort station, picnic pavilion, spray pool, nature trail, and a roadway which surrounds the park with eight parking areas.
- Frear Park
Troy, NY 12180
This 247-acre park is home to a 19-hole golf course and hockey arena. In 1931 it started as a 9-hole course and later expanded to an 18-hole course in 1964. The course includes a proshop and restaurant. Frear Park also has a hockey rink which is used by Troy Albany Youth Hockey Association (TAYHA) and offers public skating. The park also includes Arcadia Field, Northlake Field 1 and 2, a playground, tennis courts, the pagoda and nature trails.
- Knickerbacker Park
103rd St & 8th Ave, Troy, NY 12182
The Knickerbacker Park offers the public a variety of recreational activities and has space available to rent for your next gathering. This includes a party room at the ice arena, conference rooms and more! The park also includes baseball fields, basketball courts, hockey rink, a playground, soccer fields, a 400-meter running track, and a spray pool.
- Knickerbacker Ice Arena
191 103rd St, Troy, NY 12182
The arena has 5 team locker rooms available, including the only all-female facility in the area for the Troy/Albany Icecats. This venue continues to be a prominent home for area youth hockey clubs and also a training facility for college clubs in the area.
- McBride Dags Sports Hall
534 4th Ave, Troy, NY 12182
McBride Dags Sports Hall is a 5600 square foot sports rental facility in the former St. Augustine’s Gymnasium. The gym has been a staple in the community for over 70 years and McBride Dags Sports Hall is looking to continue the tradition. They offer practice space for many sports including basketball, volleyball, soccer, as well as tournaments and classes.
Schools And Education
The Troy area has many schools and we believe it is important that our residents know all about them! Below are local schools:
- Troy City School District – This small urban school district serves about 4,300 students in eight buildings. The Troy City School District provides a strong educational and social foundation to graduate all student’s college and career ready.
- Lansingburgh Central School District – The Lansingburgh Central School District consists of the Lansingburgh High School, Knickerbacker Middle School, Rensselaer Park Elementary School, and Turnpike Elementary School. Lansingburgh Central School District provides a safe and nurturing educational environment where high expectations, rigor, life-long learning and civic responsibility are developed and encouraged.
- Uncommon Schools Troy Prep – Troy Prep is a public charter school for students K-12. Founded in 2009, they have been providing Troy students with a quality education with the best learning experience for success. Troy Prep is committed to preparing each student to succeed in college and beyond.
- Sacred Heart Catholic School – Sacred Heart School is a catholic school dedicated to excellence in the education for children aged three through twelve years. Through a Christ-centered commitment, they guide students of varied abilities toward life-long learning, academic excellence, and Christian stewardship.
- La Salle Institute – La Salle Institute is an independent, Catholic college preparatory school serving young men in grades six through twelve. La Salle offers students the opportunity to realize their potential and inspire them to lead as responsible members of their community with a commitment to truth, honor, and duty.
- Emma Willard School – For more than 200 years, the Emma Willard School has been a leader in girls’ education. Emma Willard proudly fosters in each young woman a love of learning, the habits of an intellectual life, and the character, moral strength, and qualities of leadership to serve and shape the world.
Higher Education Opportunities
- Hudson Valley Community College (HVCC) – HVCC offers more than 80 degree and certificate programs as well as credit-free training opportunities. For over 60 years Hudson Valley Community College has provided students a dynamic, student-centered, comprehensive, and accessible educational opportunity, and is committed to preparing students for careers and continued educational opportunities through transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
- Russell Sage College – The 3,000 students at Russell Sage College pursue bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in numerous academic areas. Students participate in a learning environment that offers varied interdisciplinary academics, opportunities for community engagement, options to study abroad, and a range of artistic and athletic endeavors.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) – RPI is situated on 275 acres with 7,900 students in attendance. The Troy campus offers a total of 746 labs, studios, and technology spaces used for research. From renewable energy to cybersecurity, from biotechnology to materials science, from big data to nanotechnology, the world needs problem solvers and that is the kind of talent RPI produces. Those who want to address the urgent issues of today and the emerging issues of tomorrow.
- Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing – Located right in Troy, Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing offers an Associates in Science (A.S.) degree in Nursing program to educate and prepare students to become skilled and competent professional nurses. In addition to its AD Program, Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing also offers a Practical Nurse Certificate (PN). Students will participate in clinical experiences in a variety of settings including hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, physician offices, and daycare centers.
Living in Troy allows residents to be very close to local healthcare and hospitals.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS CALL 911
- Samaritan Hospital
2215 Burdett Ave., Troy, New York 12180
The experienced staff at Samaritan Hospital are dedicated to providing safe, effective, compassionate care to patients and residents. They are always striving to increase quality outcomes through cutting-edge technologies and the implementation of evidence-based practices. To learn more, please contact the hospital at (518)-271-3300.
- Troy Family Health Center
79 Vandenburgh Avenue, Troy, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 271-0063
Troy Family Health Center offers a full scope of services that include routine pediatric exams (well-baby and well-child checkups; school, camp and sports physicals); adolescent medicine; routine adult and geriatric health care (including annual physicals for health maintenance, work, school or insurance); preventive immunizations and precautionary inoculations; and preventive health and wellness services, including cancer screening and promotion of a healthy lifestyle; as well as on-going management of chronic medical conditions. The practice also offers a range of women’s health services, including annual pelvic exams, Pap smears, family planning and other gynecological services. Same day appointments are available for illness, injury, and chronic medical conditions. X-ray services are available on site. To learn more about the practice and their services, please call (518) 271-0063.
- Albany Med EmUrgentCare
730 Hoosick Rd, Brunswick, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 264-9000
Albany Med EmUrgentCare is a walk-in urgent care facility with 11 locations throughout the Capital Region. Each location is open from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM, 7 days a week, including holidays! With no appointment necessary, you can stop in and be seen quickly by the on-site doctors and PAs. Visit EmUrgentCare if you need treatment for sprains, fractures, rashes, asthma, insect bites, and more. X-ray is provided on site at every location and treatment is available to patients of all ages. To learn more, please contact EmUrgentCare at (518) 264-9000.
Government Offices And Services
It’s important to learn about the area around you if you’re new to the City of Troy, New York. This government services guide is here to help.
- City of Troy Police Department
Central Station, 55 State Street, Troy, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 270-4421
The motto of the City of Troy Police Department is, Service is a pledge to render aid, contributing to the welfare of others. It is a call beyond duty to extend one’s self, occasionally outside our self-imposed boundaries, to be helpful. Trust is the development of a sense of assurance, by the community, of our character, ability, strength and truth in our relationships with them. Our commitment to administer a steadfast, but compassionate response to calls for service, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, or sexual preference, without favor is the cornerstone of our trust building endeavor. Professionalism is the skilled and proficient delivery of police service, conforming to the ethical and technical standards of our vocation.
- Troy Fire Department
2175 6th Ave., Troy, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 270-4471
The Troy Fire Department has 119 uniformed personnel and operates 5 engine companies, a rescue engine company, 2 truck companies, three ambulances, a hazardous material response unit, and 2 rescue boats. Approximately 9,000 calls are answered each year. The Troy Fire Department is also the hazardous material response unit for the County of Rensselaer.
- Troy Post Offices
Troy has 3 post offices throughout the city. Check out the site and find the one closest to you.
- Troy Public Libraries
Phone: (518) 274-7071
Troy has two public libraries across the city. Libraries are open to everyone. The Troy Public Libraries offer great programs for people of all ages.
- Rensselaer County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
1600 7th Ave, Troy, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 270-2600
To get a license, a state ID, permit, CDL, or to take care of other plate related matters, you can visit this office.