Colonie, NY is a great area to live, work and play and has everything you need right outside your door.
Get in touch with our knowledgeable property managers and dive deep into the ins and outs of the Colonie community!
Things To Do
Whether you currently live in the area or are new to Colonie, you’ll want to know all of the fun things to do. We’ve put together a list of our favorite things to get you started! Looking for more ideas? Just ask us!
- Wolf Road – Wolf Road is one of the central hubs for stores, restaurants and entertainment in Colonie. Situated close to the airport, Wolf Road boasts restaurants like BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse, Outback Steakhouse, Ted’s Fish Fry and many more.
- Colonie Center Mall – One of the premier shopping malls in the capital district is located in Colonie. Colonie Center Mall has stores like Barnes and Noble, Macy’s and Champs. It also has well known restaurants like The Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Changs and Five Guys.
- Regal Colonie Center and RPX – Regal Cinemas is located in the Colonie Center Mall. This cinema has reclining seats and premiers the latest movies. A full snack bar makes it the perfect place to catch a new movie.
- Newton Plaza – Newton Plaza is located in Loudonville and has recently expanded, adding new stores and restaurants. The plaza has plenty of boutiques, specialty shops and dining.
- Trader Joe’s Grocery Store – A town favorite, Trader Joe’s is located on Wolf Road. Trader Joes has specialty foods and products that always keeps its customers coming back for more.
- Guptill’s Arena – Guptill’s Roller–Skating Rink has been a family business for almost 70 years. Guptill’s hosts events like birthday parties and reunions. Rent some skates and enjoy yourself in the world’s largest roller-skating rink or get some ice cream from the famous ice cream shop.
- Proctors Theatre – A few miles west of Colonie is the historic Proctors Theatre. Since 1926 the theatre has hosted plays and concerts in Schenectady. Check out the Proctors Theatre website to find upcoming events and shows.
- Dave & Buster’s – At the family-friendly chain, you can play arcade games, watch a football game, and enjoy a meal from a delicious pub menu. Dave & Buster’s is also a great location for your next birthday party!
- Colonie Farmer’s Market – During the summer months, the Town of Colonie puts on a farmer’s market at the William K Stanford town library. Local vendors sell produce, specialty products and other homemade goods. It gives vendors and customers the opportunity to interact and buy locally–sourced products.
- All 4 Fun – All 4 Fun is a complex that includes mini golf, go–carts, batting cages and ice cream. The complex is located next to the airport so you can enjoy views of airplanes taking off and landing while eating your favorite ice cream.
Parks & Recreation
The Town of Colonie, New York and the surrounding area offers residents many different options to enjoy the outdoors. We’ve put together this Parks and Recreations resource list to help you find some great ways to have fun outside. If you have any questions about what the area has to offer, feel free to ask us.
- Crossings of Colonie
580 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
This beautiful 130-acre park offers a gorgeous view, a playground for kids to enjoy, and 6.5 miles of multiuse trails for walking, running, biking, and in-line skating. Fly a kite, enjoy a picnic, or throw a frisbee with friends in the large open spaces. Pavilions, meeting rooms, and a gazebo are available to rent for company or family gatherings. On Saturdays from, May 18th through September 28th you can pick up fresh produce at The Farmers Market at The Crossings.
- Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail
155 Central Avenue, Colonie, NY 12205
This bike-hike trail, which starts in the town of Niskayuna and passes through a huge portion of the Capital Region, is a great place to bike, jog or rollerblade while taking in the scenic views.
- Colonie Mohawk River Park and Pool
71 Schermerhorn Road, Cohoes, NY 12047
This facility includes an Olympic size pool with diving area, training pool, playground equipment, cross-country ski trails, two pavilions, and many other amenities that are perfect for people who like to stay physically active. To use the pool, you must be a resident of the Town of Colonie, and have a green residency card. This card is free and you can get it at the Parks and Recreation office at 71 Schermerhorn Road, the Town Clerk’s Office, or at the Colonie Community Center.
- Town of Colonie Golf Course
418 Consaul Road, Schenectady, NY 12304
Whether you’re going to play a round of golf or just hit some practice balls at the driving range, this golf course always offers up a great time. We recommend trying out Martel’s, the on-site restaurant that has a great selection of lunches, dinners, and drinks.
- Mohawk River Park and Pool Splash Pad
71 Schermerhorn Road, Cohoes, NY 12047
The splash pad is a zero-depth aquatic play area that provides children with hours of fun! The splash pad is designed with innovative and sensory features that encourage children to create their own experiences with water. The park is open May through October and closes at Dusk.
- Mohawk Riverside Landing Park
4071 River Road, Latham, NY 12110
The Mohawk Riverside Landing Park is Colonie’s newest park and is located on River Road in Latham near the Niskayuna Border. The 12.3-acre park connects to the Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Path and features scenic views, picnic tables, and restrooms. It opens daily and closes at dusk. Restrooms are closed from November to May.
Schools & Education
We feel that it’s important that our residents know the educational opportunities that the surrounding communities have to offer. That’s why we’ve created a guide that covers local K-12 schools and higher learning institutions. Still have questions about schools and education? Ask us!
SOUTH COLONIE SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Forest Park Elementary School – Educating Children from Kindergarten to 4th Grade, this school has a staff of 50 talented individuals who are dedicated to helping children learn about the world around them, and embrace their unique creativity.
- Sand Creek Middle School – If your children attend Forest Park Elementary school, this will be the next step in their educational growth. Sand Creek focuses on meeting the unique developmental needs of each of their pupils from 5th grade to 8th grade by helping them embrace achievement, responsibility, and positive thinking.
- Colonie Central High School – After attending Sand Creek for four years, students enter Colonie Central High School. Nearly ninety percent of college graduates at this school go on to attend a two- or four-year college, and more than half of pupils earns an advanced regents diploma. Best of all, advanced placement and college-level courses are available so students can get a head start on their university learning experience
HIGHER EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- SUNY Albany – This local University doesn’t just attract students from all over the country, it attracts applicants from all over the world. This college offers majors in Criminal Justice, Political Science, Digital Forensics, Economics, History, Computer Science, Foreign Languages, and much more.
- The College of Saint Rose – This private University has several achievements such as being ranked in the top quarter of “Best Regional Universities – North” list. It also has the honor of being named a “military-friendly school” by G.I. Jobs magazine. Its core focus is helping students grow in the fields of Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Math, and Science.
Living in Colonie has many benefits but having healthcare and emergency care facilities close by is important. Below, please find the most common health-related facilities in the area.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS CALL 911
- Albany Memorial Hospital
600 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Phone: (518) 471-3221
The experienced staff at Albany Memorial Hospital are dedicated to providing high-quality care for every patient they see; they even provide specialized care for the elderly. To learn more, please contact the hospital at (518) 471-3221.
- St. Peter’s Hospital
315 S Manning Blvd., Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 525-1550
St. Peter’s staff provides compassionate healing, integrated health care, supportive housing and community services particularly for those who are needy or vulnerable. To learn more about the hospital and their services, please call (518) 525-1550.
- Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 262-3125
Albany Medical Center is Capital Region’s only academic medical center. It is the staff’s commitment to provide a superior level of patient care, education, as well as biomedical research to New York State’s residents. To learn more about the hospital and its services, please call (518) 262-3125.
- Albany Med EmUrgentCare
98 Wolf Rd., Ste. 16, Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (518) 264-9500
Albany Med EmUrgentCare is a walk-in urgent care facility with 12 locations throughout the Capital Region. Each location is open from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM 7 days a week, including holidays! With no appointment necessary you can stop in and be seen quickly by the on-site doctors and PAs. Visit EmUrgentCare if you need treatment for sprains, fractures, rashes, asthma, insect bites, and more. X-ray is provided on site at every location and treatment is available to patients of all ages. To learn more, please contact EmUrgentCare at (518) 264-9500.
Government Offices & Services
It’s important to learn about the area around you if you’re new to the Town of Colonie, New York. This government services guide is here to help
- Colonie Police Department
312 Wolf Road, Latham, NY 12110
Phone: (518) 783-2744
The Colonie Police Department protects and serves the community. It also offers a civilian police academy, an explorer program for teenagers, and more. To reach them, you can call 518-783-2744 or 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Colonie Fire Department
1631 Central Ave, Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (518) 869-9306
Having served the community since 1931, the Colonie Fire Company is an all-volunteer department that is committed to providing a variety of safety services. To reach them you can call (518) 869-9306 or 911 in case of an emergency.
- Colonie Post Office
11 New Karner Road, Guilderland, NY 12084
Phone: (518) 458-7217
Serving the Colonie area, this post office offers many different on-site services including delivery services, handling money orders, offering PO Boxes and more!
- William K. Sanford Town Library
629 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
Phone: (518) 458-9274
The William K. Sanford Town Library provides the community with numerous resources to enrich their lives including signing out books & DVDs, book clubs, computer classes, and other programs and events.
- Albany Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
224 S. Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12202
Phone: (518) 486-9786
To get a license, a state ID, permit, CDL, or to take care of other plate related matters, you can visit this office.
- Colonie Town Hall
534 New Loudon Road, Latham, NY 12110
Phone: (518) 783-2700
In addition to hosting the Town Board and being the office of the Town Supervisor, the Town Hall offers building and fire services, youth programs and services, senior resources, and other departments and initiatives that promotes community involvement.