Rensselaer, NY is a great area to live, work and play and has everything you need right outside your door.
- Things To Do
- Parks And Recreation
- Schools And Education
- Local Healthcare
- Government Offices And Services
Get in touch with our knowledgeable property managers and dive deep into the ins and outs of the Rensselaer community!
Things To Do
Whether you currently live in the area or are new to Rensselaer, you will want to know all of the fun things to do. We’ve put together a list of our favorite things to get you started! Looking for more ideas? Just ask us!
- Visit the Crailo State Historic Site– Crailo is the museum of the Colonial Dutch in the Hudson River Valley. Crailo was built in the early 18th century by Hendrick Van Rensselaer, grandson of the First Patroon. Crailo State Historic Site offers Outreach programs to schools and hearthside cooking programs and are available by reservation.
- Catch a movie at Regal East Greenbush– This local theatre is one of the best places to catch today’s biggest Blockbusters. They are committed to being “The Best Place to Watch a Movie!
- Take a sip at Emporium Farm Brewery – Emporium Farm Brewery is a brewery and taproom in Rensselaer, NY, serving New York State Farm Brewery, Cidery, Meadery and Winery beverages. Emporium Farm Brewery showcases fine New York State craft beers brewed with New York ingredients at its taproom. It has a focus on United Kingdom style beers, seasonal specialties, and the occasional oddity. With 12 taps they offer a wide selection with most taps from their on-site brewed beer and occasional guest taps. Guest taps include beer, cider, mead, and sangria.
Parks And Recreation
The City of Rensselaer, New York and the surrounding area offers residents many different options to enjoy the outdoors. We have put together this Parks and Recreations resource list to help you find some great ways to have fun outside. If you have any questions about what the area has to offer, feel free to ask us.
- Crailo State Historic Site
9 1/2 Riverside Ave, Rensselaer, NY 12144
Tour the Crailo museum as well as take a tour of the exterior and grounds, weather permitting. These exterior tours highlight Crailo history, architectural details as well as Hudson River history.
- Riverfront Park
The Riverfront Park is located in Rensselaer with a nice path along the river. Enjoy some great sights and beautiful views.
- Walter S. Pratt Memorial Playground
The Walter S. Pratt Memorial Playground is a great park for kids in the summer. The park has a spray park where kids can cool off during the summer months. For up to date information on guidelines, please call (518) 462-5488.
Schools And Education
The Rensselaer area has many schools and we believe it is important that our residents know all about them! Below are local schools:
- Rensselaer City School District – Made up of Van Rensselaer Elementary and Rensselaer Jr./Sr. High, the Mission of the Rensselaer City School District is to ensure that all graduates are individuals who undertake challenges, believe in themselves, accept learning as a lifelong process, and determine their own futures by creating an environment committed to the growth, enjoyment, and success of the individual where all people show mutual respect for the contributions of others.
- The Doane Stuart School – The Doane Stuart School is one of the region’s oldest Early Childhood through Grade 12 coeducational schools. The mission of Doane Stuart is education for students from every quarter. In a college preparatory context where the joy of discovery is valued, Doane Stuart emphasizes serious study, educates on social responsibility, and lays the foundation for a strong faith.
- Questar III Rensselaer Academy – Rensselaer Academy is dedicated to offering all students opportunities for learning and growth, while attending to the unique learning needs of each individual student. Their goal is to provide an environment filled with rigorous content and exciting lessons allowing students to enjoy learning. Students are challenged daily to grow both academically and emotionally, with support from all members of the school community.
Living in Rensselaer allows residents to be very close to local healthcare and hospitals.
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS CALL 911
- Samaritan Hospital
2215 Burdett Ave., Troy, New York 12180
The experienced staff at Samaritan Hospital are dedicated to providing safe, effective, compassionate care to patients and residents. They are always striving to increase quality outcomes through cutting-edge technologies and the implementation of evidence-based practices. To learn more, please contact the hospital at (518)-271-3300.
- Peters Urgent Care
2 Empire Drive, Rensselaer, NY 12144
Phone: (518) 286-4960
St. Peter’s Urgent Care is dedicated to providing excellent medical care plus top-notch customer service in an exceptional setting. Patients have rapid access to board-certified providers, experienced in the care of acute illness and injury. Their mission is to provide great care in a friendly and clean environment, combined with the shortest possible waiting times. They are located off Route 4, just minutes from I-90. To learn more about the practice and their services, please call (518) 286-4960.
Government Offices And Services
It’s important to learn about the area around you if you’re new to the City of Rensselaer, New York. This government services guide is here to help.
- Rensselaer Police Department
201 Broadway, Rensselaer, NY 12144
Phone: (518) 462-7451
The Rensselaer Police Department is committed to providing the highest quality professional services to the community of Rensselaer. Their mission is to maintain a safe and secure environment by providing emergency response, patrol and investigation police services that are fair, unbiased judicious and respectful of the dignity of all individuals.
- Rensselaer Fire Department
North End Fire Station – 2 St. Francis Place, Rensselaer, NY 12144
Phone: (518) 463-2883
The Rensselaer Fire Department is a combination department composed of 16 paid members of Local 2643 of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) and volunteer firefighters from the local community. Working in unison all members work to provide the citizens of Rensselaer a first-rate Emergency Services Department.
- Rensselaer Post Offices
Rensselaer has 1 post office in the city. Check out the site to see where it’s located.
- Rensselaer Public Library
676 East Street, Rensselaer, NY 12144
Phone: (518) 462-1193
The Rensselaer Public Library has been around since before the city was founded (as the Bath-on-Hudson library). It received its absolute charter in 1904. The library has been in many locations, including school #2 and Broadway. It moved into its current location on East street in November of 2009.
- Rensselaer County Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
1600 7th Ave, Troy, NY 12180
Phone: (518) 270-2600
To get a license, a state ID, permit, CDL, or to take care of other plate related matters, you can visit this office.