Latham is a great area to live and has everything you need with the following at your fingertips:
If you have any other questions about the Latham community, ask our knowledgeable property managers who know all about the area and everything it has to offer!
Things To Do
Are you looking for things to do in Latham, NY or the surrounding area? We’ve put together a guide of entertaining activities that you can enjoy.
- See a Siena Saints Basketball Game – For an exciting evening, we recommend that you watch a Siena basketball game. They regularly play at the Times Union Center, which is just a short drive away from Latham.
- Roller Skate at Guptill’s Arena – Guptill’s Arena is the world’s largest indoor roller skating rink! Skate between the beginner’s rink, baby rink, and the main skating floor. Guptill’s also offers a snack bar and arcade for when you want a break from roller skating. Love ice cream? Enjoy 80 award winning ice cream flavors at Guptill’s Ice Cream between March and October
- Take the Family to ALL 4 FUN – Have fun and be physically active by taking your family to ALL 4 FUN. They have go-kart racing, mini-golf, and batting cages!
- Stop by Spare Time Latham – An ideal destination for both adults and kids alike, Spare Time Latham has bowling lanes, video games, and delicious dinner and dessert options.
- Visit the Indoor Driving Range at Afrim’s Sports – Afrim’s Sports has several locations throughout the Capital Region including one in Latham, NY. The Latham location includes a large, indoor turf field ideal for soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, flag-football, birthday parties and more.
- Painting with a Twist – Painting with a Twist is a great place to relax and have fun with your friends. Follow along as an instructor guides you through painting your next masterpiece. Bring your own bottle of wine or beverage and settle in to a two- or three-hour class.
- See a Show at Curtain Call Theatre – Curtain Call Theatre offers residents of Latham and beyond professionally produced plays, one man shows, and musicals. Tickets are $25 per person and shows happen Thursday through Sunday.
- Ice skate at Hudson Valley Community College – Starting in October, the public can enjoy Hudson Valley’s Conway Ice Rink. Hours are Monday-Friday Noon – 2pm and Saturday and Sunday 4 – 6:15pm. Admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12.
- Tour the New York State Capitol – The New York State Capitol building represents the seat of New York State government and is located on the peak of Albany’s State Street Hill. The building offers free walk-in tours as well as official guided tours. If you’re new to the area, it’s a great way to learn about New York!
- Golf at West Turnpike Country Club – If you love golf and are in the Capital Region, playing 18 holes at this scenic course is a great way to spend the day. Become a member or drop in for the day to play 9 or 18 holes. The Stone Fox Grill is a great place to stop for lunch or dinner once your game is finished.
If you want to learn more about the area, or fun things to do, don’t hesitate to ask.
Parks & Recreation
Love getting outside and staying active? We’ve created this Parks and Recreation Guide for people living in or around Latham, NY. You’ll find all of the best parks, baseball fields, and hiking trails down below. If you want a few more ideas or some more information, feel free to ask us!
- Latham Circle Soccer
539 Boght Road, Cohoes, NY 12047
Soccer is a sport that is fun at every age level. If you want to help your kids keep active, or just have some fun for yourself, we recommend contacting Latham Circle Soccer.
- The Crossings of Colonie
580 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
This beautiful 130-acre park offers a gorgeous view, a playground for kids to enjoy, and 6.5 miles of multiuse trails for walking, running, biking, and in-line skating. Fly a kite, enjoy a picnic, or throw a frisbee with friends in the large open spaces. Pavilions, meeting rooms, and a gazebo are available to rent for company or family gatherings. On Saturdays from, May 18th through September 28th you can pick up fresh produce at The Farmers Market at The Crossings.
- Albany County Hockey Facility
830 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
The Albany County Hockey Facility is a destination for figure skaters and hockey players alike in the area. Whether you’re skating or watching from the rink, you’ll have a great time.
- Mill Road Acres Golf Course
30 Mill Road, Latham, NY 12110
Latham’s own Mill Road Acres Golf course offers players 18-holes of golf on a scenic course. There is also a three-tiered natural grass driving range for those looking to practice and perfect their swing. When the game is over visit Otis & Oliver’s for a drink and a bite to eat.
- All American Sports Recreation
85 Russell Road, Albany, NY 12203
All American Sports offers some great ways for adults and children alike to get active, compete, and make some new friends. They organize floor hockey, basketball, softball, and flag football programs for you to enjoy.
- Falls View Park
231-341 N Mohawk Street, Cohoes, NY 12047
This 4-acre park offers a view of the scenic Cohoes Falls, that spans the Mohawk River between Cohoes and Waterford. Visitors are able to enjoy fishing, hiking, taking photos of the falls, and picnics at the Upper Level picnic area.
- Peebles Island State Park
1 Delaware Avenue North Cohoes, NY 12047
A popular spot among locals, Peebles Island State Park is at the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers. Enjoy beautiful views of the river and rapids as you walk, jog, fish, picnic or snowshoe! There is also a pavilion and grills perfect for hosting birthday parties or family get togethers. Bathrooms are available and parking is $6 per vehicle.
Latham offers numerous opportunities to stay active and have fun. If you’d like extra suggestions, we’ll be happy to give you a few!
School & Education
Are you moving to the Latham area? We’re happy to provide information about schools in Latham, NY and the surrounding area. If you have any questions about the local educational institutions, don’t hesitate to ask.
NORTH COLONIE CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Forts Ferry Elementary – Forts Ferry prides itself on creating an atmosphere that is focused on helping children get the support they need to be successful individuals by meeting all of the necessary and unique needs of each child.
- Shaker Junior High School – This middle school focuses on helping students reach their fullest potential academically, develop social skills that will help them later in life, and reach their best achievements physically and athletically. Their mission is to provide an optimistic educational environment that leads to success.
- Shaker High School – Their mission as a high school is to provide students with the tools they need to be competitive in the international market place, and to help foster the diverse talents and needs of its student body. In addition to embracing core academic standards of achievement, it also focuses on helping students learn Foreign Languages, become problem solvers, and appreciate the Arts. They also offer Drivers Education courses, allowing students to have an important tool that they need to become independent.
CAPITAL REGION UNIVERSITIES
- Siena College – Offering majors, minors, and certificates, Siena is an incredible academic institution that’s ready to help young adults learn the skills they need to be successful. Areas of education include Accounting, Classics, Economics, Business, Biochemistry, Criminal Justice, and much more. We also recommend that you stop in to watch a basketball game when you move to the area!
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) – Located in nearby Troy, this university is a respected leader in higher academia. Just some of the majors offered include Architecture, Aeronautical Engineering, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Physics, and Sustainability Studies.
Living in Latham has many benefits but having healthcare and emergency care facilities close by is important. Below, please find the most common health-related facilities in the area:
IN AN EMERGENCY, ALWAYS CALL 911
- Albany Memorial Hospital
600 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Phone: (518) 471-3221
The experienced staff at Albany Memorial Hospital are dedicated to providing high-quality care for every patient they see; they even provide specialized care for the elderly. To learn more, please contact the hospital at (518) 471-3221.
- St. Peter’s Hospital
315 S Manning Blvd., Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 525-1550
St. Peter’s staff provides compassionate healing, integrated health care, supportive housing and community services particularly for those who are needy or vulnerable. To learn more about the hospital and their services, please call (518) 525-1550.
- Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 262-3125
Albany Medical Center is Capital Region’s only academic medical center. It is the staff’s commitment to provide a superior level of patient care, education, as well as biomedical research to New York State’s residents. To learn more about the hospital and its services, please call (518) 262-3125.
- Albany Med EmUrgentCare
98 Wolf Rd., Ste. 16, Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (518) 264-9500
Albany Med EmUrgentCare is a walk-in urgent care facility with 12 locations throughout the Capital Region. Each location is open from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM 7 days a week, including holidays! With no appointment necessary you can stop in and be seen quickly by the on-site doctors and PAs. Visit EmUrgentCare if you need treatment for sprains, fractures, rashes, asthma, insect bites, and more. X-ray is provided on site at every location and treatment is available to patients of all ages. To learn more, please contact EmUrgentCare at (518) 264-9500.
Government Offices & Services
New to the Latham area? Take a look at this Government Services guide to learn more.
- Colonie Police Department
312 Wolf Road, Latham, NY 12110
Phone: (518) 783-2744
The Colonie Police Department serves Latham in a variety of ways. It protects and serves the community, offers child seat inspection services, has an explorer program for teenagers, a civilian academy and much more. They can be reached at (518) 783-2744 or 911 in the event of an emergency.
- Latham Fire Department
226 Old Loudon Road, Latham, NY 12110
Phone: (518) 785-7330
The Latham Fire Department has served the community for over 100 years. Its all-volunteer force is made up of firematic officers, civil officers, and an auxiliary team that focuses on fund raising. To get in touch with them, call (518) 785-7330 or dial 911 in the case of an emergency.
- United States Postal Service
685 Watervliet Shaker Road, Latham, New York 12110
Phone: (800) 275-8777
The Latham Post office is the place to go for a variety of services. You can take care of your general delivery needs, pick up mail that was placed on hold, get the ever-famous duck stamps, take care of money orders and much more!
- William K Sanford Town Library
629 Albany Shaker Road, Loudonville, NY 12211
Phone: (518) 458-9274 The William K. Sanford Town Library is among the most wonderful community resources in the Latham area. You can borrow books, rent movies, and take computer classes.
- Albany Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
224 South Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12202
Phone: (518) 486-9786
You can visit this office to get a license, state ID, permit, and more!
- Colonie Town Hall
534 Loudon Road, Latham, New York 12110
Phone: (518) 486-9786
Latham is part of the Town of Colonie. Its town hall is home to youth programs and services, senior resources, public operations center, the Town Supervisor and Board, and many other important parts of local government.!