Guilderland, NY is a great area to live, work and play and has everything you need right outside your door.
Get in touch with our knowledgeable property managers and dive deep into the ins and outs of the Guilderland community!
Things To Do
Things To Do In The Guilderland Area
Welcome to Guilderland! If you’ve just moved here, or even if you’ve lived in Guilderland before, you’re probably looking for things to do. New York’s capital is never boring, and there’s always things to do, rain or shine. From movies and concerts, to family friendly activities, the city has something for everyone.
- Visit the Madison Theater — This isn’t your average movie theater. In addition to hosting stand-up comedy, musical events and showing some of today’s most popular films. Madison Theater also holds screenings of classic movies several times a week. Even better, it has an amazing snack bar filled with some of the most unique treats and beverages.
- Visit the Nine Pin Cider Tasting Room — Nine Pin Cider is locally brewed in Albany, New York and can be found at stores throughout the state and country. Visit the tasting room and try some cider by the glass, growler, or tasting flight. If you want to know what goes on behind the scenes, buy a ticket to take a tour of the production facility. Tours happen once a month so plan accordingly!
- Watch a baseball game at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium — The Capital Region is a great place to live if you love baseball. If you want to enjoy America’s pastime, be sure to check out a Tri-City ValleyCats game here.
- Explore the Hudson River with Dutch Apple Cruises — This cruise line offers historic sightseeing, charter tours, sunset cruises and is also a unique venue for weddings.
- Play Games at Dave & Buster’s — The family-friendly chain has a location right in the area. Play arcade games, watch a football game, and enjoy a meal from the delicious pub menu. Dave & Buster’s is also a great location for your next birthday party!
- Golf at West Turnpike Country Club — If you love golf and are in the Capital Regions, playing 18 holes at this scenic course is a great way to spend the day.
- Visit the Albany Institute of History & Art — Whether you’re history enthusiast, searching for something educational for the kids, or you have guests in town who want to learn a bit more about our region’s history, this museum has an exhibit for everyone.
- Experience an Event at The Egg — The Egg hosts artistic work ranging from dance performances, music, arts-in-education and so much more! The iconic building is located in the Empire State Plaza is a standout in the Albany skyline.
- See a Concert at the Times Union Center — The Times Union Center is an indoor arena located in downtown Albany. The arena hosts sporting events, concerts, comedians, children’s acts, Disney on Ice, and more.
- Attend a Free Concert — During the summer, the city hosts Alive at Five at Jennings Landing. The free concert series runs from 5pm to 8pm and brings critically acclaimed performances to the Capital Region.
If you have any other questions about the Guilderland community, ask our knowledgeable property managers who know all about the area and everything it has to offer!
Parks & Recreation
Parks And Recreation In The Guilderland, New York Area
If you have recently moved into the area or are planning on moving to Guilderland, you’re probably wondering where you can go to get outside and enjoy nature. We’ve put together this Parks & Recreation guide as a reference to help you along the way. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
- Tawasentha Park
188 Route 146, Altamont, NY 12009
The 192.5 acre park includes 5 miles of easy to moderate trails through the woods and along stream banks. Cross over a pedestrian bridge to grasslands and sloped woodlands in the Winter Recreation Area. In the winter, many people enjoy snowshoeing and cross-country skiing on the trails. The park is open year-round and also includes softball and baseball fields, volleyball courts, swimming pools, pavilions, tennis courts, and so much more.
- DiCaprio Park
3420 E. Lydius Street, Schenectady, NY 12303
This park offers 109 acres of gorgeous land and is a popular location for soccer and lacrosse games. In addition to their 12 fields for such sporting events, DiCaprio Park also has a pavilion where you can enjoy a picnic lunch.
- Nott Road Park
6073 Nott Road, Guilderland, NY
This park provides fields that are great for local softball, soccer, ultimate frisbee, and flag football teams. Fields can be rented daily from 8 am to dusk for $30.
- Western Turnpike Golf Course
2350 Western Avenue, Guilderland, NY 12084
With a variety of golf lessons including, one-on-one instruction, Western Turnpike also offers a driving range and a high-end club house.
- Albany Pine Bush Preserve
195 New Karner Road, Albany, NY 12205
This 3,300 acre preserve has 20 miles of hiking trails for visitors to enjoy. The Albany Pine Bush Preserve is home to a unique variety of rare plants and animals, including the federally endangered Karner blue butterfly. The Discovery Center provides visitors with interactive activities and exhibits, both indoors and out and admission is free!
- Roger Keenholts Park
6355 French’s Mill Road, Guilderland Center, NY 12085
Roger Keenholts Park has two entrances, one on Hurst Road and another on French’s Hollow Road in Guilderland Center. The park is home to Guilderland Baseball and Guilderland Girls Softball League. The park features eight minor baseball fields, five softball fields, and a state-of-the-art Babe Ruth level field. Each area has enclosed batting cages, concession stands, and covered pavilions.
- Volunteer Firefighters Memorial Park
1028 DiBella Drive, Guilderland, NY 12084
Volunteer Firefighters Memorial Park consists of over 20 acres of land and includes a softball field, open fields, a playground, and walking paths. The park was dedicated to volunteer firefighters and emergency services by former Town Supervisor Kevin Moss.
These are a few of the great destinations that the Parks and Recreation Department of Guilderland offers residents of the Capital Region. For more information on everything our parks have to offer and a calendar event, please visit the Town of Guilderland’s website.
Schools & Education
Schools In The Guilderland, NY Area
If you’re moving into the area, you’re likely interested in knowing about the schools in Guilderland, NY. We’ve put together a guide to help you learn about the educational options from elementary school through higher educational academic institutions in the area. If you’d like to learn more about the educational opportunities the area has to offer, don’t hesitate to ask us.
Guilderland Central School District
- Guilderland Elementary School — While attending this school, your child will be in an environment focused on helping the unique needs of each student. Guilderland Elementary is equipped to provide your child with a rich and rigorous education so they are prepared to beat the developments and changes in an ever-changing community.
- Farnsworth Middle School — After attending Guilderland Elementary School, students can continue their education at Farnsworth Middle School. What makes it unique compared to other middle schools is that it focuses on helping students grow philosophically, academically, and creatively through a variety of different approaches. Another standout feature is its on-site TV studio that brings national and school level news to its students every morning.
- Guilderland High School — Dedicated to preparing its pupils for college or entering the work force, it offers over 300 different courses and elective. This allows a student to have a hand in builder the educational program that fits their needs, talents, and career dreams. It also offers its students the ability to earn college credit with five AP courses and many Syracuse University Advance (SUPA) courses.
High Education Opportunities
- SUNY Albany — The University offers its students the opportunity to become educated and proficient in Science, Business, Technology, Math, Human Studies, Languages, and Arts. It’s also home to an active athletics department that includes Football, Basketball, and Lacrosse teams.
- Albany Medical College — Students across the country have choosen to attend this local institution that is dedicated to training the finest Doctors, Physicians Assistants, Bioethicists, Nurse Anesthesiologists, and Researchers.
Healthcare And Emergency Care In The Guilderland, NY Area
Living in Guilderland has many benefits but having healthcare and emergency care facilities close by is important. Below, please find the Capital Region’s most common health-related facilities.
In An Emergency, Always Call 911
- Albany Memorial Hospital
600 Northern Blvd., Albany, NY 12204
Phone: (518) 471-3221
The experienced staff at Albany Memorial Hospital are dedicated to providing high-quality care for every patient they see; they even provide specialized care for the elderly.
To learn more, please contact the hospital at (518) 471-3221
- St Peters Hospital
315 Manning Blvd., Albany NY 12208
Phone: (518) 525-1550
St Peter’s staff provides compassionate healing, integrated health care, supportive housing and community services particularly for those who are needy or vulnerable. To learn more about the hospital and their services, please call (518) 525-1550
- Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY 12208
Phone: (518) 262-3125
Albany Medical Center is Capital Region’s only academic medical center. It is the staff’s commitment to provide a superior level of patient care, education, as well as biomedical research to New York State’s residents. To learn more about the hospital and its services, please call (518) 262-3125
- St Peter’s Family Health Center
326 S. Pearl St., Albany, NY 12202
Phone: (518) 449-0100
- Albany Med EmUrgentCare
98 Wolf Rd., Ste. 16, Albany, NY 12205
Phone: (518) 264-9500
Albany Med EmUrgentCare is a walk-in urgent care facility with 12 locations throughout the Capital Region. Each location is open from 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM 7 days a week, including holidays! With no appointment necessary you can stop in and be seen quickly by the on-site doctors and PAs. Visit EmUrgentCare if you need treatment for sprains, fractures, rashes, asthma, insect bites, and more. X-ray is provided on site at ever location and treatment is available to patients of all ages. To learn more, please contact EmUrgentCare at (518) 264-9500
Government Offices & Services
Government Offices and Services in Guilderland, NY
When you’re new to an area, there’s a lot of information to gather. This Guilderland, New York Government Services guide is here to help make finding things as easy as possible!
- Guilderland Police Department
5209 Western Turnpike, Altamont, NY 12099
Phone: (518) 356-1501
The Guilderland Police Department has been serving the community since 1972 and can be reached at 518-356-1501 or 911 in the case of an emergency. In addition to responding to emergencies, the department is involved in several initiatives to help make the community more alert, help families stay safe, and inform them about law enforcement.
- Guilderland Fire Department
2303 Western Avenue, Guilderland, NY 12084
Phone: (518) 456-5000
Since 1931, the Guilderland Fire Department has helped to keep the town of Guilderland safe. To learn more about this department (or to volunteer) call 518-465-5000 or 911 in case of an emergency.
- Guilderland Post Office
11 New Karner Road, Guilderland, NY 12084
Phone: (518) 456-1400
This post office is a place where you can do much more than send out mail and buy stamps. You can apply for a bulk mail permit, do money order, set up a PO box, purchase greeting cards and much more!
- Public Library in Guilderland, NY
2228 Western Avenue, Guilderland, NY 12084
Phone: (518) 456-2400
The Guilderland Public Library is the local place to go for all book lovers. Additionally, there are programs for kids and teens, book discussion groups for adults, genealogy resources and much more that make it invaluable to the community.
- Albany Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
224S. Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12020
Phone: (518) 486-9786
Open Monday through Friday, this office is located near Guilderland in Albany, NY. Here, you can take care of your licensing, ID card, registration, and license plate needs.
- Guilderland Town Hall
5209 Western Turnpike (Route 20), Guilderland, NY 12084
Phone: (518) 356-1980
The Guilderland Town Hall hosts meetings by the Town Board, Conservation Advisor Council, Ethics Board, Industrial Development Agency, Planning Board, Traffic Safety Committee, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Zoning Review Committee.